"With access to the key details related to each health and safety incident and the ability to share and learn from each other's experiences in real time we've gained a powerful advantage - one that will help us be even safer."
Agnico Eagle Mines operates eight gold mines across Canada, Finland and Mexico and carries out mining exploration and development activities around the world. In 2010, looking to improve its Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) performance, the Ontario, Canada-based company turned to the Intelex Health & Safety Management Suite. The software has helped Agnico reduce its accident frequency rate from 3.23 in 2011 to 0.79 in 2017.
- Over-dependence on paper-based spreadsheets to track incidents, inspections, and other critical activities.
- No real-time capabilities to act on data.
- Need for quick way to provide executives with data for project approvals.
- Accommodating multiple languages – particularly Finnish – was a must.
- Intelex EHS Incident Management Suite
- Intelex Training Management software
- Translation Work Bench
- Accident frequency rate of 3.23 (per 200,000 working hours) at the time of implementation in 2011 was reduced to 0.79 by 2017.
- Centralized and streamlined environmental and safety incident reporting and investigation, enabling real-time access to EHS data and improving Agnico’s ability to respond quickly.
- Simplified prioritization and decision-making by highlighting critical incident information within six unique dashboards.
In 2010, Agnico Eagle began searching for a formal EHS Management system that would work with them to apply best practices in accident management. Their Excel spreadsheets had become inefficient and Agnico wanted to centralize their approach to training, incidents, inspections and other critical business activities.
This would simplify the process of individual sites reporting back to corporate on their environmental, health and safety data, and would allow the company to access real-time information and build real-time reports that top management could use to act upon their commitment to accident reduction. Agnico Eagle also needed a system that would accommodate multiple languages across their site locations.